Saturday, January 12, 2008

Harvest Time!

Have a look at this! Jason has begun to harvest the produce from his garden and everything was soo full of colour and plump in size. Even our cherry tomatoes were a bit on the large size (not pictured). This is by no means all that he collected because I told him to stop until we had organised this lot.
Here Jason and I are enjoying some harvest preperations for bottling. I was lucky enough to receive an electric bottling kit for christmas and it was about to be tested out with this fantastic recipe for tomato herb sauce. These days this kit is filled with water, plugged into the wall and left to boil for 1 hour. The tap on the container is then used to drain the water and your job is done. Makes bottling much more appealing I think, since I've never really been a fan!
I have come to appreciate to hard work that goes into producing home goods. I bet the pioneer women (when they were not forced from their homes) spent their lives in the kitchen cooking, bottling, harvesting and preparing meals. I don't know how they did it. This whole process to make 5 bottles of pasta sauce took 5 hours, 9 kilo's of tomatos and an hour to boil. I thouroughly enjoyed the experience and am planning the next shift when Jason has a spare weekend to devote with me!
Taaddaaaa!!!!!!! Aren't we clever!

1 comment:

Smith Family said...

I'm so jealous of your lovely garden. I would love do that, except the bottling, I have never been a fan either. But how great it is to be able to enjoy it later.